Flight Introduction

Last weekend was the Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing.  It was an amazing conference, and I'll post more on that when I've gathered some photos and videos to include.

However, I wanted to talk about my enjoyable flight back from Denver.  I was seated next to a lovely family with three young children.  Next to me was the oldest one.  As soon as I sat down he asked if I prefered to talk or to sleep.  I told him I enjoy talking.  A while later in the flight his dad asked what I study at IU, and I replied Computer Science and Math, and the boy said, "me too!"  Then he continued saying that Science was his favorite subject.  

At the end of the flight he leaned over and whispered something to his dad and his dad said, "Ask her."  So he asked if I have ever made a website.  I said I had, and he asked if I could tell him how to do it.  So I gave him info about blogger and told his dad that they could protect it so that only certain accounts could view it.  Then I told his dad about Scratch, a programming tool that lets kids make games and animated stories. 

I sense a Computer Scientist in the making.

P.S. Adam, if you have any questions about making your website, you can leave a comment here.

3 comments:

  1. My Ruby friends would beat me up if they found out that I let an opportunity to mention Shoes, the Ruby programming kit for kids, go by.

    I'm very happy to hear you're spreading the Good News. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huh. Believe it or not, I hadn't ever seen Scratch. I'm going to have to check that out more. Thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi!sarah how are you doing???????
    i enjoyed the flight talking to you .I'm going to make my own bloger.
    thank you for the help. some time mybe you can visit my blog when i get it set up

    ADAM E. FROM AZ.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.