Potluck Picnic

My roommate and I decided to organize a potluck picnic for all the people we've been missing over the summer. This is also a great way for me to force myself to start cooking again now that all of my food is not being prepared for me by Google. The potluck is tomorrow, but I finished all of the cooking tonight.

I started off with something easy:

Rhodes Rolls

1 pkg Rhodes Dinner Rolls
1 baking sheet

Open package of frozen dinner rolls, place on cookie sheet, let rise 4 hours, bake in oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.


Then I moved onto a recipe that required multiple ingredients and is a staple food for a picnic. This is my favorite pasta salad recipe, which was given to me by Lucas many years ago:

Lucas' Pasta Salad

1 pkg Rotini pasta
some Italian salad dressing
1 can black olives - sliced

Cook pasta by directions on box. Drain pasta in a colander then run under cold water to cool. Add Italian dressing and black olives to taste. This time I also added some cherry tomatoes from the farmer's market.


Next it was time for something sweet:

Great Grandpa Meyer's Favorite Candy

(These are sometimes called Hay Stacks, though not in my family)

1 bag stick pretzels
1 pkg chocolate bark (24 oz)
some marshmallows (optional)
a few feet of wax paper

Break pretzels in half. Melt chocolate according to directions on package. Slowly add pretzels (and marshmallows) while stirring into chocolate. This is the part where you'll need to call in your roommate for an extra pair of hands, because you need to stir quickly before the chocolate cools. Drop spoonfuls of the mixture on the wax paper. Let cool (the most difficult step of all).

Making the whole bag of pretzels will make about half a kitchen table of cookies. Luckily it's easy to only make a smaller amount at a time.


Finally I tried a more complicated recipe. It required me to 'cream margarine.' Sounded difficult to me. I'm not a huge fan of these cookies, but I think that's because they aren't super sweet, so we'll see how they are received at the picnic tomorrow.

Peanut Butter Peace Cookies*

1 c. margarine
4 T. white sugar
1/2 c. nuts chopped or
1/4 c. peanut butter
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
1/4 tsp. salt
powdered sugar for rolling in

Cream the margarine. Blend in the white sugar, chopped nuts or peanut butter, and vanilla. Sift together the flour and salt. Stir into the creamed mixture. Pinch off pieces and shape into small balls (think about rolling play-dough...) and place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake cookies at 325 degrees until lightly browned on the bottom (approximately 15 min). Let cookies cool. Roll in powdered sugar.


* The cookbook where I found this recipe (originally called "Italian Tea Cookies") gave a short story about the history of the cookie. The author said, "They are considered to act as a 'bridge of peace' linking together nations internationally." I'm not quite sure what that means, but because of the quote and the fact that the cookies taste like peanut butter (not tea), I took the liberty of renaming them. Also, my name has a slight alliteration, which is always an improvement.

I also made Jello, but I'm guessing most people aren't interested in how I did that.

3 comments:

  1. You have been very busy! I enjoy the pictures of your food. I wish I could be there to enjoy it!

    As for "Blindness", did I say that I disliked it? I'm not sure that I disliked it, really. It was hard to read because of the writing style (little puncuation and no quotation marks), and because the author used a huge vocabulary ... and my vocab is a little lacking in Spanish. In retrospect, the plot was a little slow-moving, too. With that said, I did like it OK, though.

    Oh, and it's the only Jose Saramago book I've read.

    --Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, it's funny that the peanutbutter cookies bridge nations internationally. I wonder if the author of the cookbook could name one concrete incident in which this actually happened?
    --Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. those recipies sounded cool.I'd like to make peantbuter peace coockies and rhodes rolls.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.