Is Coke different in Mexico?

My team ate lunch at a Mexican themed cafe in Google today. We noticed that they had Coke in glass bottles (the kind that's sold in Mexico). Evidently this kind of cola uses sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. I tried it and thought it was much better than regular coke. However, this wasn't enough proof for a group of engineers. We brought a regular coke and a Mexican coke back to our cube and proceeded to perform a blind taste test. A summary of the experiment and results follows.

Three people taste both kinds of soda, decide which they think is better, and which they think is the kind from Mexico.

We got six paper cups. A fourth person went into a separate office and labeled the cups 1-6. He then randomly assigned which cup was which drink and recorded the assignment on a legal pad. Then he distributed two cups to each participant.

Not only were we all able to determine which was the foreign beverage, but all three of us preferred it to domestic Coke. Two of us thought we could tell the difference just by smell, but the experiment was not designed for this, so those results are inconclusive.

Just one more reason why my co-workers are awesome.

3 comments:

  1. Wait, wait, wait. I've talked about the HFCS coke debacle several times. Perhaps you've forgotten my searches for Passover Coke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's very interesting! I don't like Coke in the US, so I haven't actually tried it here in Mexico. I must give it a try!

    I would point out that they sell Coke in cans here, too. They're both common. The ones in cans say Coca-Cola on one side, and then they say it in some other language (I think Korean) on the other. In case you were interested ...

    --Abby

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was the same in Tanzania and all over East Africa. They used cane sugar, and from what I can tell since being back, it was way better in those lovely glass bottles.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.