Remnants of a Flash Flood

Despite the fact that it was almost 100 degrees outside and the heat index was much higher, I decided to go for a bike ride and picnic lunch.

Not far into the ride, I came across a rather large puddle left over from the flash flooding of the night before. Disregarding Abby's rule of thumb, I rode through it. All was well; I do have some nice German fenders, after all.

Well, a little farther on, I came across another puddle. I thought, "no big deal, same as the first." I was wrong. The second puddle was much deeper and longer than the first. I had to abandon my peddles in order to keep my feet dry and relied solely on my momentum to carry me to the other side.

I finally found a shaded bench suitable for my picnic and decided to stop my ride there. I had just settled in with a book and my lunch when the tree that had been protecting me from the hot sun began to pelt me with some sort of nut. I read one chapter and then decided it was time to go home.

Hopefully my next ride won't be quite so catastrophic.

4 comments:

  1. That was a cute story. I still want to go for a bike ride with you sometime, I just work weird hours, so hopefully I'll quit soon and we can go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Tuesday and Wednesday off this week. I think I work 10-4 tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, opposums are not what I had in mind. But that's a good guess. I read somewhere that as far as number of young in a litter, opposums are pretty close to the top. By the way, how old were you when you witnessed an opposum giving birth? It seems like something you wouldn't want hang around to observe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wanted to let you know that I got your RSVP on xanga, so you're all good. I'm glad that you're excited about it!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.